The Spring 2019 retreat will be a residential retreat held at Cloud Mountain Retreat Center in Castle Rock, Washington.
Cloud Mountain Retreat Center is located in a forested rural area of southwest Washington, approximately 60 miles north of Portland. (map).
There are no health professionals on staff and there are no health facilities at the retreat center. The nearest hospital is over 20 miles away and the nearest pharmacy is 8 miles away.
Because of the chemical or environmental sensitivities many people suffer, we ask that you use only fragrance-free products while you are on retreat.
What to Bring
- Bedding: a sleeping bag or sheets and blankets, and a pillow. An extra fitted sheet to cover the mattress is optional.
- Towel & washcloth
- Comfortable clothing layers for variable weather. SW Washington can be cool and damp at any time of year. The buildings at Cloud Mountain are pleasant and well-insulated, but retreatants will often be walking between them, necessitating clothing and shoes appropriate for walking outdoors. This includes a warm sweater or jacket even in the summer, a raincoat or umbrella. (Please pack adequate clothing for the length of your retreat, since laundry facilities are not available to retreatants on retreats shorter than two weeks.)
- Prescription medications you take in supplies adequate to last for the duration of your retreat.
- Personal toiletry items: soap, shampoo, toothbrush, razor, etc. Please plan to use fragrance-free items during your retreat.
- Flashlight with fresh batteries for walking between buildings at night.
- Meditation cushion or bench, a pad for beneath the cushion.
- A meditation shawl or light blanket for chilly late night or early morning meditations.
- Alarm clock and/or watch other than your cell phone.
- Slippers: Shoes are not permitted in any of the buildings but you may wear slippers.
- Slip-on shoes for easy removal before entering buildings.
- Shower shoes/sandals (e.g., plastic flip flops) are recommended.
- Cloth napkins and handkerchiefs, to reduce paper waste.
- Coffee: Cloud Mountain does not provide coffee, but makes coffee cones and filters available for general use by those who choose to bring a personal coffee supply.
What Not to Bring
- Pets (with the exception of service animals)
- Reading materials (on most retreats reading is not encouraged)
- Alcohol, illegal drugs, or other intoxicating substances. (Smoking is not banned during retreat, but smokers are asked to move to a respectful distance from buildings and people.)
- Candles or incense
- Technological devices (tablets, laptops, etc.) - to support you in letting go of the pull of technology we do not allow retreatants wifi access during your retreat.
Address: 373 Agren Rd, Castle Rock, WA 98611, USA
From I-5, take Exit 48 (Castle Rock business loop). From the off-ramp turn left onto Huntington Ave. Follow Huntington Ave., about 1.6 miles, into the center of Castle Rock.
At the 3-way stop sign with the blinking red light, turn left onto 'A' Street. Follow 'A' Street approximately 0.8 of a mile through the town and over the bridge across the Cowlitz River, continuing to drive straight until you reach the intersection with the 4-way stop signs. At this 4-way stop turn right (north) onto Hwy. 411 (West Side Highway). Drive north 7 miles.
About 3/4 mile before the turn onto Agren Road you will see railroad tracks running along the right side, parallel to West Side Highway. When you're driving parallel with these railroad tracks start watching for the street sign marking Agren Road. Turn left onto Agren Road, taking the turn slowly since it curves a bit at the bottom of the hill. About 0.6 of a mile up the road you will see an large red barn on the right side of the road and a large black mailbox opposite it on the left, marked Cloud Mountain Retreat Center and with our street number, 373. Turn left into the long driveway and proceed to the parking lot. Signs will guide you to the unloading and parking areas.